Home page

View English sites

View French sites

View Other sites

Search by subject

Non stained glass

Rose windows

Gazetteer

Contact

Oxford, All Soul's College

details

Magnificent glass in the antechapel by John Glazier of 1440-47 with some restoration by Clayton & Bell in the late 1870s: in the E windows to N and S are the large figures of the twelve Apostles in the top row, each on a chequered floor, carrying traditional attributes, set within a canopy and with a label bearing their name beneath, six to the N and six to the south: beneath them are twelve female saints similarly disposed, the Holy Women and St Agatha to the N and Sts Elizabeth (with infant John the Baptist), Helen, Anastasia, Etheldreda, Katherine and Sidwell to the S. The rest of the glass here used to be in the Old Library and is now in two windows in the W wall and above the N door; these panels are smaller than those in the E win dows but are similarly arranged beneath canopies, on a chequered floor and with labels: over the N door are Sts Dunstan, Edmund and Odo of Canterbury above and Archbishop Chichele, Henry IV and King Arthur below (C19 angels in traceries); those on the N side of the W wall feature bishops and Doctors of the Church, each with one of the symbols of the Evangelists (lion, ox, eagle and man/angel); on the S side is the Royal Window.